Rivera, Jacob to Nicholas Brown & Co.
March 21, 1770
Creators and Contributors:
- Rivera, Jacob
- Nicholas Brown & Co.
- Physical Description:
- In 1770, the College of Rhode Island, what is today Brown University, moved from its original location in Warren, Rhode Island, to its present site in Providence. The first building erected at the new site was the College Edifice, now known as University Hall. Costs of construction were paid for through a public subscription campaign. Wood for the building, some ten thousand board feet, was donated by Lopez and Rivera, a Newport merchant house and one of the colony's leading slave trading firms. In this letter of March 21, 1770, Jacob Rivera reports the delivery of the wood to Nicholas Brown and Company, who were overseeing the construction project.
- Call Number:
- BFBR 6-7-3/21/70 (JCB Manuscript ID)